For years, casino bosses have promised that Atlantic City slots are among the loosest around. With these games being such a player favorite, it makes sense that New Jersey casinos would brag about their payouts in an attempt to lure some players away from the mecca of gambling in America – Las Vegas.
This guide will take a closer look at the best of what Atlantic City has to offer. However, we won’t merely focus on land-based Atlantic City casino slot machines – we’ll also check out their online counterparts. So, if you’re planning a trip to the Garden State and you’re wondering which slot machine to play, continue reading for all the answers.
Want to brush up on your slots before you hit AC? Then check out these NJ online & mobile casinos offering a free play & amazing signup bonus
What is RTP?
Before going deeper into Atlantic City slot machine payouts, it’s important to understand what RTP is and why you should consider it when choosing which game to play. RTP stands for ‘Return To Player’. This is the amount of money that the game pays out over an infinite number of plays.
For instance, if a slot game has an RTP of 92%, then the average payout will be $92 for every $100 wagered. Of course, this is merely an average. A player could spend $300 on a slot and only win $50, for example. On the other hand, the next player could win a $100,000 jackpot on their first spin.
To get the best odds in Atlantic City, you want to look for the games with the highest RTPs – these are what’s known as ‘loose slots’. The RTP has nothing to with the bet size nor the jackpot. You can play penny slots Atlantic City or a $25 slot machine – the payout will be relative to your stake.
While the jackpot amount is not connected to the RTP, this is certainly something you must weigh up when picking the best slot machines in Atlantic City. It could be a case in which a slot offers a relatively low RTP, but the potential jackpot is enormous compared to a slot with a high RTP and a smaller jackpot.
Atlantic City Slot Machine Payouts
We all have our favorite places to play, and to be honest, there isn’t much to separate them. According to data from the New Jersey Casino Control Commission (for 2019), the best casino in Atlantic City to win the highest slot payouts is as follows:
- Harrah’s 79%
- Borgata 66%
- Hard Rock 41%
- Caesars 03%
- Resorts 78%
- Bally’s AC 76%
- Golden Nugget 57%
- Ocean Resort 49%
- Tropicana 35%
These figures also include AC video poker machines and any other electronic games, such as video keno.
Top Slot Machines in Atlantic City
Several AC casinos boast over 2,000 slot games on their casino floors, which means players have an array of options; however, it can be daunting knowing where to begin your adventure. If you have a title in mind, you can check out the Slot Finder AC list published by the operator to find the best casino in Atlantic City NJ.
For anyone playing for the first time, these are some of the most popular titles to help get you started.
- Wheel of Fortune: If you’re looking for Borgata slots with the best odds, Wheel of Fortune needs to be on your list. The latest version of this iconic series is called ‘Wheel of Fortune Dazzling Gems’. What sets this game apart is that it has a lucrative virtual wheel feature where players can win more credits, in-game free spins or one of fifteen progressive jackpots.
- Cleopatra Gold: Developed by IGT, Cleopatra Gold takes players on a journey through time to ancient Egypt. With a range of features, including gold spins, free games, respins, wilds, and win multipliers, there’s plenty of action from start to finish on this slot.
- 88 Fortunes: This is another progressive slot that is all the rage on the Boardwalk in AC. 88 Fortunes has 5 reels and 234 ways to win. It serves up a mighty 10 free games and the 4-level progressive feature offers potentially massive payouts.
Atlantic City Jackpots
The New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement (NJDGE) is extremely transparent in detailing Atlantic City slot winners for both land-based and online casinos. A quick search online and you’ll be able to find its ‘Jackpot Publication’.
For the period between the 1st of January 2021 and the 31st of March, the NJDGE listed 282 jackpot winners, with a total payout of $25.6 million on these 282 wins alone. For the record, a jackpot win is any amount of $50,000 and above.
Here are the top 10 jackpots won at licensed and regulated Atlantic City / New Jersey casinos (online and offline).
|2||$717,925.45||BorgataCasino.com||MGM Grand Millions|
|3||$547,565.77||CaesarsCasino.com||Wheel of Fortune MegaJackpots|
|6||$250,000.00||CaesarsCasino.com||Raging Rhino Megaways|
|7||$245,021.60||BorgataCasino.com||The Big One|
|9||$214,913.14||Borgata||Wheel of Fortune Dazzling Gems|
Nine out of ten of the top payouts have come online, with the most popular casino in Atlantic City – the Borgata – being the only land-based venue to register in the top ten.
Atlantic City Online Slots
There are many amazing slots available online in the Garden State, and all you have to do is download a mobile NJ casino app to start playing. Whether you prefer jackpot games, Megaways, or branded slots, you are bound to find something that matches your taste and budget. Try them for free with a $10 free no deposit bonus!
- Divine Fortune: This is one of NetEnt’s most popular slots and it’s a true favorite in NJ because its progressive jackpot frequently pays out thousands of dollars – as you can see in the table above. Even without the progressive feature, Divine Fortune delivers plenty of value with a stellar RTP of 96.59%, a free spins round, wild symbols, and respins.
- China Shores: This slot by Konami is available online and at land-based casinos. The Asian theme is endearing and immersive; however, the generous 96.10% RTP, free games, bonus symbols and random scatters are what keep loyal players coming back for more.
- Siberian Storm: It’s the original MultiWay Xtra slot created by IGT. Part of its allure is that there are 720 ways to win on any spin, but more appealing is the Eye of the Tiger bonus feature that can retrigger up to 200 free spins. Keep a lookout for Siberian Storm MegaJackpots. This variant is part of IGT’s network of progressive slots, so the potential payouts can be far more than the standard game jackpot.
- Gonzo’s Quest Megaways: The original Gonzo’s Quest is one of the best slots of all time, and now the upgraded Megaways version is setting pulses racing too. Using the Megaways reel-modifier mechanic, Gonzo’s Quest has up to 117,649 ways to win. There’s also the multiple win avalanche feature with a 15x multiplier, unbreakable wilds, and an Earthquake feature that pays up to 21,000x your stake. No wonder it’s so popular!
How Many Casinos Are In Atlantic City?
Casino enthusiasts are spoilt for choice in NJ. Atlantic City has 9 world-class casino properties. You may be familiar with a lot of the casinos listed below:
- Bally’s Atlantic City, Park Place, and the Boardwalk. Opening date: 12.29.1979
- Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa, One Borgata Way. Opening date: 7.3.2003
- Caesars Atlantic City, 2100 Pacific Avenue. Opening date: 6.26.1979
- Golden Nugget Atlantic City, Huron Avenue, and Brigantine Blvd. Opening date: 5.23.2011
- Hard Rock Atlantic City, 1000 Boardwalk. Opening date: 6.27.2018
- Harrah’s Resort Atlantic City, 777 Harrah’s Boulevard. Opening date: 11.22.1980
- Ocean Casino Resort, 500 Boardwalk. Opening date: 6.27.2018
- Resorts Atlantic City, 1133 Boardwalk. Opening date: 12.29.1979
- Tropicana Casino and Resort, Brighton Avenue, and the Boardwalk. Opening date: 11.23.1981
Whilst we aren’t expecting any new additions to Atlantic City, a lot of the properties are regularly updated. over the years many casinos have closed down and several have been purchased by other hotels and renamed.
Online NJ Slots vs Atlantic City Slots
There are pros and cons to playing online slots and Atlantic City slots; however, the good news is that you can have the best of both worlds.
Naturally, playing online is more convenient. Simply download the Borgata real money casino app (or any other licensed casino), and you can start playing. Additionally, there are more bonus offers for online players. Casinos can afford to do this because the operational costs are far lower running an online site or app. A good offer for new players is a $10 free play bonus, as this lets you play without risking any of your own cash.
As mentioned above, RTP is vital in choosing high-value games, and online games tend to be better in this area too. The average RTP for online slots ranges between 93% and 97%. Of course, there are exceptions at both ends. Compare this to land-based slot machines, which average around 91%, and you can see that your dollars go further online.
Yet, land-based slots offer a more enjoyable gambling experience. You are sat in the heart of the casino, surrounded by other players who are also enjoying themselves. The ambiance and feel of physically being sat at a machine is certainly part of the pleasure for many players. Also, when you get lucky and land a big win, you can simply go to the casino cage and cash out your winnings, whereas online, withdrawals do take a little bit longer.
If you’re interested in testing these games out for fun, we recommend downloading the Borgata free to play casino app. It provides a wide selection of high-quality casino slots that you can play in demo mode. These games are identical to their real money counterparts, so you get the true flavor of playing.